Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Grand Gun Control Experiment

I don't normally get political on this blog.  I tend to write about what I know - laundry, adoption, and 15 passenger vans.

But as a mother, I am done.  I am just done hearing about how other mothers have to bury their children from another mass shooting.  I am done imagining the families of the 30,000 people killed with guns every single year.  I am just done with the whole thing.

I am also sick of any mention of gun control assumes an automatic infringement of 2nd Amendment Rights.  Basic gun control does not mean that someone will take away all your guns.  I can't even imagine that would be possible considering we have 88 guns for every 100 people in the country.  We have more guns per capita than any other nation.  (Please insert "We're Number One" chant here)

Gun control does not mean that we are suddenly a dictatorship like those fascist countries of England, Australia,  Canada, Japan, South Korea...and nearly every other First World country with stricter gun laws than the US.

Common-sense gun control just means that the country takes into account the rights of all its citizens - both the undeniable right to own guns and the undeniable right to not get shot with guns.

I have no problem with people having guns for protection in their home.  I think it is hunky-dory for people to go to gun ranges for fun.  I'm a-okay with other people hunting cute furry animals.

Everyone has their own ideas of what gun control legislation (if any) should be enacted.  Personally, I am in favor of background checks for all gun purchases, even those at gun shows.  I believe high capacity magazines should be banned.  I don't see why we are required to be trained before legally driving an automobile which could kill someone, but training is not required to use a gun that is specifically designed to kill.  Buying an assault rifle should not be as easy to buy as placing an order for an iphone on Amazon.

But what do I know?  I am just a mother who wants her kids' First Amendment right to LIFE, liberty and the pursuit of happiness upheld as much as their Second Amendment right to form their own militia - which, by the way, is supposed to be "well-regulated" according to the Constitution. (Although that part doesn't usually get stressed by the NRA.)

However, since nobody can quite decide on which gun control legislation should be passed, might I suggest a novel approach to legislation.  I think we should conduct a grand experiment to settle whether unfettered access to any weapon of choice makes our society safer or less safe.

Here's the plan:

We enact stricter gun control laws in 49 states.  But, we allow anyone with a strong sense that gun restriction hurts our country to live in Florida with no gun control legislation whatsoever.

That's right.  Let them have their flame throwers, fully automatic Howitzers, and tanks rumbling down Alligator Alley.  They can arm themselves with grenades and stick land mines in their lawns.  They can erect statues of Charlton Heston in every city center.  Have at it!  It will be fun! 

Fortunately, Florida already has stand-your-ground legislation in place, so if they feel any sense of danger, they can just shoot the heck out of anyone they feel threatened by.  I'm feeling safe already thinking about it.

I realize this might mean some changes for the Happiest Place on Earth.  In order for everyone to feel safe around so many guns, the characters in Disney World will probably have to be armed.  There may need to be some sort of gun corral outside of The Its a Small World ride.  Frontierland could sell fully functioning six-shooters to six-year-olds.   Cinderella's castle could have snipers posted at every turret.  Nothing but the best security to make families feel like they are not about to be shot. 

Everything is more magical with an assault rifle.  Yippe-ki-yay!

Then, if and when I am proved wrong - when we find out that minimal to no weaponry restrictions does, in fact, equal a safer society with fewer deaths, I will very humbly and sincerely admit I was wrong.  When it is proven that "Guns don't kill people, people kill people" and unrestricted access to firearms does not, in fact, increase the homicide rate, I will acknowledge the fallibility in my reasoning.

But then again, what do I know.  I'm just a mom.



3 comments:

Judith-Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judith-Ann said...

BRAVO! More "just a mom(s)" like you should be put in charge.

Kristin said...

Hey thanks, Judith-Ann.