Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Waiting for the Perfect Post

So let me point out the elephant in the room.  It has been several months since my last blog post.

First life got busy.  Then, it had been so long since I posted that the neurotic in me decided that I needed to find the "perfect" inspirational post to get started again.  Because after all, you don't want to pull an Indiana Jones.

You know - where people wait forever till the next installment in the franchise after the Last Crusade only to be extraordinarily disappointed with Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?  Don't worry Harrison Ford, I still love you in a slightly more than platonic way.

Then I got over myself and realized that nobody probably cared about the blog.  Updating it became one of those last things on my To Do list that just got carried over every day but never completed.

Fortunately, one of my favorite relatives snapped me out of complacency and asked about the blog.  I let her know my predicament of not having the perfect post.  So the practical gal suggested a topic for me.  Perfect.  The perfect topic is one I don't have to freak out over.

She suggested imaginations in childhood, specifically imaginary friends.  So I will take her up on it.  Here goes:

You all might be thinking that imaginary friends are cute and harmless.  They celebrate that moment when magic is possible and kids can't quite tell real from make believe.  It all seems so innocent.

But not in my family.  Imaginary friends are used as a means of domination.

Bridget started the imaginary friend fest when she was young.  Everything progressed in the typical fashion and then she outgrew it.  Until her brother's invisible buddy joined the family.

Riley's imaginary friend was named "Mr. Nobody", and the boy was pretty happy to have him roaming around the house keeping him company.  Bridget was not keen to lose the idolizing attention of her little brother and stole his imaginary friend.  Mr. Nobody no longer belonged to Riley because Bridget claimed him.  That is what unbridled power does to an older sibling.

Riley was not to be dissuaded from having a make-believe friend, so he settled on Mrs. Nobody.  Although this character wasn't stolen away from him, both he and Mrs. Nobody still ended up being bossed around by Bridget and Mr. Nobody.

Next in the line of imaginary friends came Connor's friend named "The Little Guy".  The little guy was apparently a Tom Thumb kind of invisible chap who liked to hang around the house.  Connor rather liked him, but Bridget confiscated him, too.  She would tell Connor where his imaginary friend was and was not.  She told him what The Little Guy did.  I could see Connor trying to grasp control over the situation, but unfortunately the persuasive declarations by his sister were too much for his imagination to overrule.

I think the effort to control The Little Guy became too great and he, too, fell as a casualty of growing up.

Sawyer's friend named "Puffy" has been the latest imaginary friend to enter our home.  Puffy started out as Sawyer's other dad.  Puffy was his fun dad that he liked to do lots of stuff with.  Of course I felt superior in that I was not replaced by an imaginary friend.  I gloated in front of my dear husband.  Then Puffy somehow morphed into his more fun mom.  I didn't gloat anymore.

Puffy managed to become his brother, his friend, and any other cool role Sawyer could think of.  He loved Puffy.

So naturally Bridget was gearing up a hostile takeover of the fake person named Puffy.  But it never happened.  It turns out there is a force stronger than the devious nature of an older sister.  That force is the pure power of absolute belief.

Bridget couldn't take the imaginary friend because Sawyer wasn't wishy-washy about his belief.  He was convinced Puffy was real, so of course Bridget couldn't take him.

At one point, Sawyer came to me jubilant.  I asked the reason and he told me that he beat Puffy at Uno.  Apparently, Puffy was just about to win, but forgot to say "Uno" so Sawyer was able to remain the Uno champion.  Take that, imaginary person!

I congratulated Sawyer.  He leaned in by me and looked both ways to be sure nobody was listening.  Then he whispered, "That Puffy at the table isn't really real, you know."  I smiled and nodded.  Yes, I knew.

Then he added "But the Puffy up in my room is.  He talks to me at night and tells me what to do."

Bonus points for Sawyer for not only being the first person to successfully protect his imaginary friend from his sister, but also for creeping me out in the process.

 PHOTO: DEVIANTART.NET


4 comments:

just me said...

This post brings back some great memories.

Lulu said...

Welcome back! And please don't over think, just write. I enjoy all your posts. Write about your piles of laundry, your picky eaters, what to do with leftovers, how to pack a good school lunch, etc.

S June said...

Welcome back! Please post more. I love your blog.

S June said...
This comment has been removed by the author.