Saturday, August 9, 2014

Why do Family Pictures Have to be So Hard?

When people think about the challenges of big families, they often think some thing are really difficult that aren't so much for us (getting all the kids to bed, cooking for a crowd).  But they often don't consider how hard other aspects are.  

Let me share something that is extraordinarily difficult for a large family - taking a group picture where everyone looks good.  Or even okay.  Why does it have to be so stinkin' hard?

We recently had our family picture taken for our church directory by the professional photographer they supplied.  Before we reviewed the photos to choose from, the photographer admonished us not to expect a picture where everyone looks great.  He basically told us to lower our expectations.  I let him know they were already sufficiently low and that I just wanted everyone looking in the general direction of the camera.

Because of copyrights, I can't scan in the picture to show you how it turned out. 

But I can share a sample photo session we did at home after church one day with just 6 of the 7 kids.  There were a dozen others equally entertaining.  And no, these were not intended to be silly.  These were suppose to be the "nice" pictures.





Finally, the best we are going to hope for.

3 comments:

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

I *so* feel your pain! I'm *thrilled* with a recent family picture we took on vacation, just because everyone is coordinated, and the shot is nicely staged. The kids are all looking in the direction of the camera. So what if hardly anyone is smiling?? Arg!

S June said...

I liked the 3rd and the last picture.

You have a lovely family!

Kristin said...

S June - Thanks. I think they are pretty cute, too.