Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lucky #7

I changed my mind.



I know I said I was done with pregnancies.  I really meant it at the time.  But I changed my mind.  And now, we're expecting another little one in May.

And I am thrilled.  At least when I am not puking, getting ready to puke, or trying to avoid puking.  Fortunately, thanks the the genius pharmaceutical industry, I have a good few hours every day where the urge to vomit is lessened.  (Thanks generic Zofran).

Many of you readers have children.  You have experienced the joy of telling people about an expected blessing and having people squeal with delight and hug you.  They offered hearty congratulations and you felt surrounded by love.

Things can be different when you tell people you are expecting your seventh child.

We had our share of squealers and huggers. My heart is filled with joy over the excitement some people have shown to us.

But once you get past three or four kids, you can also expect some responses like these.

1.  Another one?
2.  Really?  Why?
3.  I would never want that many.
4.  Oh.  (followed by a full body shudder)
5.  Was it an accident?
6.  Don't you already have enough kids?
7.  And the always uncomfortable - Don't you know what causes that?

Yes, people we love and care about have had these responses.  I don't believe they  meant to be rude or unkind, but they just didn't quite know what to say.   Let me share the proper response instead.

"Wow!  Congratulations!"

That's it.  Not too hard to remember.  Although I have gotten a couple of funny, but still acceptable responses:

1.  Hooray!  Now you can get that big van you've been wanting.  (hopefully we'll find a good used one)
2.  Oh, now we're going to have to have another kid to pass you up.  (from a father of 7 kids)

Because while most people don't choose to have quite as many kids as us, you can still remember that each child is a blessing to the family.  My seventh child is as eagerly awaited, prayed over, and loved as my first was.

Here's to several more months of nausea, bloating, heartburn, aches, pains, and exhaustion - leading up to another miracle from God.






7 comments:

Heather said...

How about a WOOT, WOOT! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Is that ok? :D

Shecki Grtlyblesd said...

Huge congratulations!!! My #7 is an awesome snuggle bug still at 9. May you be equally blessed!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kristin!!! I will be praying for a healthy pregnancy, delivery and baby. So excited to hear your news.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kristin! I am so happy for all of you!

Julie

Jennifer P said...

Oh, Kristin! Fantastic news. I don't know that I've followed anyone's story of a pregnancy after adoption/China. How awesome to share the miracle of life with all of your six kids. Talk about family bonding!!! Be blessed. J

Kirsten Jill Robbins said...

Fabulous news! I think big families are awesome! Congrats!!!

Jess said...

Ava's first words were "Mom, we need to hurry if we are going to catch up with them!" I told her in very specific words that that would not be happening! But we are so, so excited for you guys! Her second words were "maybe we can have their SUV since they won't fit in it anymore instead of our gross van!" I had no idea she was even aware of numbers of kids and fitting into cars.