Saturday, July 21, 2012

Stop. Breathe. Repeat.

Somehow I slipped into stretch of weeks that didn't afford me a break.  You know how it happens.  Each little commitment I made seemed like not-a-big-deal.  Then, add in the Hubster's commitments.  By the time I actually got around to transferring all our obligations from random scraps of paper and vague recollections to the calendar I was slightly appalled.

You see, I am not THAT person.  I am not an over-scheduler.  My sweet, wonderful husband loves the thrill of racing from one event to another, but I need a breather between commitments, even fun commitments.

I am a firm believer in Gandhi's quote, "There is more to life than increasing its speed."

I always feel slightly sad for my friends and acquaintances who sigh and reply "Busy, busy, busy." when asked how their summer is going.  I admit to feeling a twinge of smugness at my calmer schedule.  Now it is time for me to eat some humble pie as I whine about my busyness.

Don't get me wrong.  All the things that occupied my days were worthwhile.  I had back-to-back trips to Christian camp for a couple of my kids (Each of the four drop off and pick ups was a full day of adventure with me and a car full of kiddos).  There was t-ball, soccer and baseball for the kids.  There were church commitments, youth group commitments, adoption commitments, medical commitments, speech therapy commitments, social commitments, softball team commitments, blah, blah, blah...

I apologize.  If it was boring for me to write that, it had to have been boring to read that.

And the sad truth of it is, I let almost three weeks slip by while running on "I gotta do it" mode instead of "I get to do it" mode.  When I am over scheduled, I wasted so many chances for feeling the joy of the moment because I am mentally too busy crossing things off my to-do list.

So I am publicly announcing my re-commitment to keeping a restful Sabbath and my daily lunch hour (I'll explain more about these on a later post).  For now, I'm going to sign off, pour myself a mojito and plunk myself down on the couch with a good mystery book.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

I can relate to most things you post, but this one really hits home. I've realized that I become crabby just LOOKING at the calendar sometimes...like it's not even my fault things have become so crazy. That sneaky calendar just keeps adding more obligations and social commitments. The older I get, the more "schedule breaks" I seem to crave. And, it has nothing to do with "age" really, or even being tired. I just don't feel that I need to do everything that someone puts in front of me. I like being at home. I like quiet. I like hanging out with my family...just the 4 of us. I've gotten better about saying "no" to things. Now I just need to work on not feeling like I need to give a 9-page monologue on "why" I've chosen to turn something down. :>)

Anonymous said...

soo exaiting...big congratulation to your family.