Saturday, March 3, 2012

Stupid Magazine Articles - Laundry Squats

I'm a bit of a magazine junkie.  I've got a few subscriptions and I have a kind mother and friends who share their magazines with me when they are done.

I am willing to suspend my disbelief in reality and enter the alternate-universe that is magazine land.  I realize that my home will never look like a spread in House Beautiful and my weed patch of a yard will never be featured in Better Homes and Gardens.  I understand that I will not mail-order specialized ingredients featured in Bon Appetit, nor will I wear any of the clothes in Vogue.  Don't get me started on Martha Stewart crafts.

It is a fantasy world that I am more than willing to travel to for a little escapist entertainment.

But, what I can't stand is when they offer incredibly stupid "advice" to make your life better.  Case in point.  This helpful tidbit was in the January 2012 issue of Redbook magazine.






Laundry squats for each article of clothing?  Are you kidding me?  Seriously?  With five kids my legs would be the size of an Olympic power lifter.  Even the model for the article can't hold in her smirk in the last photo. 

Nobody enjoys laundry and not a single person I know, not even the most fit and athletic, would waste their life on laundry squats. For all the extra time that would take, you could get a real workout in, instead of feeling like an idiot doing squats in your laundry room.

On a side note:  how does this woman have time to keep her laundry room that clean and do squats for each article of clothing washed?  I would like to ask anyone affiliated with the magazine if they have ever, or if they would ever actually follow advice like this that they publish in their magazine.

I just realized that for all the time it took me to rant in this post, I could have squatted may way through a batch of whites.  I guess that is my loss at such a misplaced opportunity.

2 comments: