Saturday, December 3, 2011

Avoiding the Parenting Current

There is an underlying current in parenting today.  Like all swiftly moving, but often barely visible currents in a river, it is easy to get caught up in them if you are unaware or unsure of your own strength to avoid it.  It is easier to flow in the current to be sucked along to wherever the current takes you instead of fighting back and going to the destination of your choosing.

The current that I see sweeping so many parents along (especially mothers) is the idea that every spare resource of time, money and energy needs to be put into our children.

Now, I will freely admit that after God, my family is at the center of my universe.  I think that is good and appropriate.  However, my children are not my entire universe.  Other than God, of course, my husband even outranks my kids as my primary relationship.  Shocking!

The universe is incomprehensibly vast and I want to explore it all.  I want to focus on my husband, my friends and  yes, I'll admit it. Sometimes I am going to focus on myself.

I am more than a mother, although that and laundry (as you can see from my previous post ) take up most of my time.  My life did not freeze in a perpetual state of mothering once I had children.  I still want to explore,  have my own hobbies, listen to music of my choosing, read novels, debate politics, write and do all kinds of things to truly use my God-given gifts and talents.  Yes, even the ones not related to children.

Today I have the chance to do that.  I am taking my first writing class at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis.  I have been looking forward to this for months!  It is a class about self-editing a novel.

I've finished a rough draft of a novel, and boy is it ever rough!  Hemingway once said, "All first drafts are s**t".  If that is true, I am on my way to following in Hemingway's footsteps!  I am hoping this class will help me move beyond the first draft doldrums and really help me polish my writing.

And I know, my kids will survive without me.  In fact, they will thrive with a happier Mommy who is trying to live up to her potential.

6 comments:

Jennifer P said...

Well said. One of the reasons I most like to homeschool is because I am the one who LOVES to learn new things.

Molly said...

Your class sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to hear about it!

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused .. Any ideas? Many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Amen! Without relationship priorities and taking time for ourselves...we would be VERY unhappy mommies.

-Jodi

Kristin said...

Anonymous - Your message was lost to the Spam file, so I don't know if you will read this, but thanks for the encouragement for my blog. I found that Blogger is super easy to use to set up a basic blog like mine. You don't need any programming skills, as the templates are already set up,waiting to be modified if you wish. And the free aspect of it helps a lot! You could set up a blog in 15 minute and start typing away. Good luck!

Anonymous said...


I could not refrain from commenting. Well written!