Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Long Time - No Post

As I posted previously, I had been immersed in the creative marathon that is "National Novel Writing Month."  Yes, I used the past tense.

Friends, let me teach you a little lesson about backing up your files.  In my creative writing frenzy, I had written over 16,000 words in my novel.  That is approximately 1/4 of a novel.  Then my laptop went kaput.  It is fried.  It has corrupted the files, overwritten them and practically laughed at me while it happened.

My sweet, computer-competent husband tried to recover the file.  He managed to (after hours of work) access a couple of the files, but they contained gobbledy-gook with a few readable sentences thrown in to taunt me.  My novel is lost.  I want to tell you all that flash drives are your friends.  Please back up all the important bits and pieces you wouldn't want to lose.  Everyone knows this, but most people put it in the back of their minds.  Let this be a friendly reminder to you.

Were does that leave me?  I had been on track to complete my novel during National Novel Writing Month, but I think this will put me out of contention.  I am pretty awesome, but I can't finish a new novel in two and a half weeks.  I succeeded in completing my novel in time last year, so I know I am capable of doing it.  I'll have to wait till next year for the thrill of victory.

So, what am I doing with myself without the looming November 30th deadline?  I've started my next novel.  I won't have the glory of finishing it in a month, but I've at least got the stick-to-it-ness to keep on going.

And, lucky for all my faithful, friendly readers, I will have more time to post on the blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is SO SAD!!!! I would've been freaking out. I'm sure you handled the loss much more maturely than I would have.

-Jodi

Matt and Maria said...

I'm so sorry. I hope that you get to re-write it, better and more wonderful than before, but what a loss.