Sunday, November 6, 2011

Come Procrastinate With Me

Come and join my procrastination party.

You see, this is November. And that means it is National Novel Writing Month.  This is the month that thousands of people around the world work towards completing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days.  (Thank goodness for daylight savings time.  One more hour.  Woo hoo.)

I had thought about participating in this a few years ago, but always made excuses for why I couldn't and then I wimped out and didn't even try.  Last year I thought, "This is it.  I'm doing it."  And I did.  I finished the 50,000 words with one day to spare.  Sure, not all the words flowed like Hemingway or Austen, but I finished it.  I had a rough draft of a novel. 

So I began this year.  Unfortunately, my procrastinating led me to have absolutely no plot thought of up until the day it started.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants and not exactly sure where this novel is going to go. 

You may be wondering why a person would attempt to write a novel in a month.  What is the prize, you may ask yourself.  I'll tell you - a great big "Good Job" and that's it.  Its just for glory and bragging rights.  What more motivation does a girl need?  This is what fuels me through hours of writing a day.  Well, that and pixie stix and Diet Dr. Pepper.  But mainly the sense of accomplishment thing.

So, dear readers, I am counting on you.  Please forgive my less consistent posting this month.  Please encourage me to get off the internet and get writing.  I need all of you to hold me accountable.  This is like running a marathon.  Only it lasts 30 days.  And nobody is on the sidelines cheering for you.  And nobody hands you water as you run. 

Actually, I'm not too fond of running, so maybe the marathon analogy falls apart.  But the cheering thing is always helpful.

No comments: