Wednesday, October 12, 2011

2 Weeks Post-Op

After re-reading my prior post about the Veronica's surgery, I am shocked we survived to this point.  I'm glad I wrote the post when I did, because my memory is already cloudy with just how difficult it was.  Looking back, I think, "Gee, that wasn't so tough!"

At two weeks post-op, Veronica is back to her usual wonderful self.  She is much, much happier now that she is officially restriction-free and doesn't have any pain or discomfort.  Her arm splints are off so she is free to move around freely and climb onto every available chair, slide, rock, etc.

She is also off the liquid and soft-food diet.  She can feed herself again.  We haven't given her anything too hard or crunchy yet; we've decided to ease into that.  She is happy holding a spoon and shoveling anything and everything in.  A new advancement - she is able to drink out of a soft spouted sippy cup by herself now.

We are also grateful to be able to brush her teeth again.  Two weeks without a good teeth led to some pretty stinky breath.  She was positively giddy when she saw her toothbrush again.

Her surgery went well.  Her lip is healed up well and I can tell she is hearing more now that she has ear tubes.  Her palate also healed up well.  Here's what it looks like now, compared to pre-op (which you can see here)



Her uvula is sutured together also, but you'll have to take my word for that.  She wasn't able/willing to open her mouth wide enough for me to get a picture of that.

And, I will officially and publicly declare that I now love her new little smile just as much as her old one.  It took a few days to get used to her new look, but I know she is still absolutely breathtaking.  Don't you agree?

2 comments:

Alyson and Ford said...

Congratulations on holding it all together under such difficult circumstance; I know you must have had to be so brave for all. (I can't imagine...). Enjoy the recovery time with all the hugs and love for her!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Gayle :) said...

Thank you so much for sharing...our daughter has her cleft palate/ear tubes surgery next Wednesday, so I have spent the last 45mins devouring every word you have written in this and older posts.

Bless you & your family!