Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Fondant - You Don't Scare Me

Earlier this year my children's school had a silent auction to raise money for various projects.  One of our family's donations was a homemade birthday cake.  I just made a cake for a very nice family that goes to our school.

Their son really likes tools and is going to get "real" tools for his birthday this weekend.  Shhhh.  Don't tell.  The mom wanted a tool themed cake and this is what I came up with:





This is a white cake with homemade butter cream frosting topped with homemade marshmallow fondant.  I feel like I am starting to get the hang of working with fondant now that I have been doing so for about a year.

But, no matter what kind of cake I make, I always panic midway through, certain that I am not going to be able to do it - positive that it will end in shambles. I secretly resent the fact that children don't like easier things to make like rainbows or smiley faces.

Then I need to remind myself that it is cake, not brain surgery or bomb detonation.  Nobody will die from the cake.  And, after a few minutes of "Happy Birthday" the evidence is eaten anyway.

1 comment:

Dawn S. said...

I am using your recipe again tomorrow! I will try not to call in a panic ;)