Friday, August 5, 2011

Unkind Words

I took my children to the library today.  While the older children were picking out their books, I had the little ones with me in the toddler/preschool play area.

While we were there, a boy who was about 7 or 8 looked at my sweet little girl and said loudly, "Eww! She's scary!" and ran away. Anytime she moved within 10 feet of him, he repeated this. He didn't have any parents with him and I wasn't quite sure what to say or do so I left pretty quickly. Fortunately, I don't think Veronica really understood.

I am used to the stares and questions from other children. I understand this is new to them and usually after hearing my standard response of  "God made her that way, isn't she cute? Don't worry, it doesn't hurt at all." they don't much care and continue to play. That really doesn't bother me at all.

I had known eventually something unkind like this would happen, but that was when she was a theoretical child, before she was actually MY CHILD. I know I need a thicker skin about it, but my heart just ached for my sweet girl.

I know I won't be able to protect her from every unkind comment she may receive, just like I can't prevent my other children from teasing or unkind words.  Instead my job is to love my children oodles so they know that the thoughtless words of a few people don't dictate their self worth.  They are loved unconditionally by myself and God.

But its still hard.  Its been a tough day.

2 comments:

just me said...

Hard as it is on you, just remember, Veronica didn't understand what was happening. Also, the kid who said it is probably someone we should feel sorry for. Obviously, he/she isn't being raised with tolerance of others.

Football and Fried Rice said...

Yep, we should pray for that boy! I can remember the first experience I had with bullying with Mya. I was so hurt, so devastated. It WAS different than my other kids - there is a part of my heart that is broken for the way that Mya's life began and I have prayed and worried and cried and spent so much time reassuring her how valuable and loved and indispensable she is. That she was made in the image of God and loved by her forever family. I felt defensive at the thought of a five year old spoiled brat tearing down what I had spent a year building!

I know we can't protect our kids from everything. But we can do everything in or power to try.