Thursday, August 25, 2011

Little Arms

I didn't realize what was missing. 

I have been telling everyone how great the adjustment after this adoption has been going.  And I meant it.  Really. 

Veronica had been adjusting to life as a Nelson, we had been adjusting to life as a family of seven.  She's understanding more English, and I'm learning to anticipate her reactions.  She astounds me with her insatiable appetite for cooked spinach, and I have been captivating her with raspberries blown on her belly. 

So all was well in the Nelson castle. 

But it just got better.

From the day we first met, Veronica has been allowing me to comfort her.  She has let Ben and the kids into her little circle of favored ones, too.  She will snuggle her head into the crook of my elbow as we are rocking before bedtime.  She will walk across the room to plop her cute little body onto my lap.  She will grin at kisses bestowed by her adoring fans, er, I mean family.

I feel slightly ridiculous for not having noticed what she wasn't doing - until yesterday.

She hugged me.  Finally.  She reached those chubby little arms around my neck and squeezed.  Then she pulled away slightly to smile and look me in the eyes.  And then my little Sugar Muffin put those arms back around my neck.  A few minutes later, her hugging started up again.

These moments before bed felt like a big leap in our relationship and made my mommy heart just burst with joy.


5 comments:

Lou and KIm said...

OK, so I decide to check in on you guys and post a hello message and completely miss this wonderful post. That's great news! Kim was the one Leila bonded with first, and while she still prefers mommy she has begun puckering up and kissing daddy in the last week. There is no greater joy than knowing that the daughter you waited so long for, and jumped through so many hoops to bring into your family, really loves you as much as you love her. Can I ask if you are the only recipient of these hugs? Or does daddy get some of that love? It was really difficult for Mike and I as Leila only wanted Kim and was hesitant to let me feed her or put her to bed. I can't get enough smooches from my little baby girl! Enjoy those hugs...I's so happy for you all.

Alyson and Ford said...

You are so lucky to have that wonderful hug! Love is shown in so many ways, but a hug for Mommy is the best!

Alyzabeth's Mommy

Anna K. said...

So heartwarming! I'm glad to hear that all is going well with Veronica and that you have a special bond! :)

just me said...

Amazing what a hug can do!

Jennifer P said...

That is the best feeling in the world. Reciprocation is fabulous thing.