Friday, July 22, 2011

My Freezer, My Friend

What to thaw...what to thaw.

Let me tell you a little secret, folks. If you come to my house for supper, you may end up eating 2 month old cheesy mashed potatoes or 3 month old fruit soup. I head to the freezer and thaw, baby, thaw.

When times get especially busy (adding another kidlet to the family counts) I fall even more in love with my deep freeze. My husband is okay with this.

The people we bought our house from were kind enough to leave a behemoth of a deep freeze in the basement. This thing could be an emergency boat for our whole family if there were a flood. As the freezer is the same mid 60's vintage as our house, it isn't the most energy efficient of appliances, but I choose to consider that a cute character quirk. I love it just the same.

Tonight we had a wonderful spinach fritatta that all my kids love. Even Veronica had seconds. We also had a cheesy garlic bread. Both were from the freezer so I could enjoy the summer day with my kids and not have to worry about what to make for supper. I also didn't have to spend a fortune on unhealthy take-out or fast food.

Taking the risk of getting too Stepford Wives, I am going to declare that I love my freezer!

Here's a picture of the beauty, all stocked up and ready to go:


4 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

I'm not gonna lie...I'm getting a little choked up over here....it's a beautiful, beautiful thing :-)

We just bought, for the first time in our 15 married years, a secondhand deep freeze (for $25!) and boy, I'm falling more in love every day! Especially as we are about to become 6!

Jennifer said...

Completely and utterly beautiful AND impressive.

Anna K. said...

Whoa ... Kristin, I am in awe over here. You are my hero! :)

Laura said...

All I can say is, "Wow!" (If you had the time, HA, I'd invite you over to help me organize mine!)