Monday, July 11, 2011

The Benefits of Sleep Deprivation

I've always been a "glass is half full" kind of girl. Actually, I usually think that if you squint your eyes a little and tilt your head, the glass is usually 3/4 full.

But, lack of sleep has been testing this die-hard optimist. So I decided to challenge myself. I am going to think of the upside of sleep deprivation.

1. Bonding time with Veronica - It seems that every hard thing about adoption is portrayed as a great chance for bonding. I am still hoping I can have more daytime bonding and less nighttime bonding.

2. I get to see more sunrises and sunsets - in the same day.

3. Its easier to hear the storm sirens go off if Ben or I are already awake. That happened last night shortly after we finally got Veronica to sleep.

4. My pace on the treadmill has increased. - I get up earlier than the rest of the family so I can exercise in the basement before the busyness of the day takes all my time. When I hear a whimper on the baby monitor, I know it is just a short matter of time before there is full fledged screaming and I better pick up my pace before she fully wakes up.

5. Lots of time to think over tomorrow's to-do list, mentally redecorate my house, plan the weekly menu, plot my next novel...

6. I have gotten very good at walking through my house in the dark. Maybe it can be my superhero power.

7. My mom gives great pity. - I can always count on her to give me "you poor thing" sympathy and this definitely earns it.

8. I get the chance to appreciate and love my husband more when he volunteers to help Veronica in the middle of the night.

9. What is the point of having a baby monitor if you aren't going to use it? I feel like I am getting my money's worth out of this one.

10. Sometimes I need a good reminder that I don't have the strength to do everything on my own. At 4:00 AM, after a couple hours of comforting my child, I have no choice but to lean on God to get me through it.

2 comments:

klange said...

Kristin, You always have such a wonderful attitude. The example of your Faith in God, the love for your family is unlike any other person I have known. You are amazing! God will bring you through this like the Super Hero he has made you to be. But if you need some helpers when Ben goes back to work, when Veronica is more settled, I would be willing to help out if you would like.

Anna K. said...

So happy to hear that you are back and that you had wonderful reunion with your kids. I sincerely will pray for you and that the sleep patterns will get regulated. I'm not someone that does well with lack of sleep (or interrupted sleep). And then with 4 other kids to be there for? Oofta. You guys are just amazing and I love your story and your attitude toward the negative parts. By the way, I'm going to take a guess that in the midst of all of this, you are STILL better dressed,accessorized and put together than I am. :)