Sunday, June 19, 2011

Daddy Day Do-Over

To my sweet, wonderful, handsome husband (who will never read this because he doesn't follow my blog):

First, thanks for being super-dee-duper great. I can't imagine wanting to raise five kids with anyone else.

Now, you know how seriously I take Mother's Day. I love the kids singing "Happy Mother's Day To You" sung to the tune of "Happy Birthday" dozens of times a day. I love having a day that I can choose to do anything I want. I love that I have no child-care responsibilities at all for that day (unless I am nursing a baby - you haven't quite stepped up to the plate on that one). And I love that you understand that it is never truly a perfect Mother's Day unless I can ditch the kids for a few hours to spend on my own. Yes, I realize the irony.

So Father's Day is here. I think you deserve nearly as much wonderfulness on your special day. Usually this involves a hunk of red meat that you can grill and an afternoon of fishing. Oddly, you choose to take the kids on this outing, but I suppose everyone's got their own idea of fun. Some sort of gift with lots of ribbon is also involved.

Unfortunately, this Father's Day won't live up to the hype. The preamble to Father's Day was a week with several vomiting children. Poor sweet hubby, you caught what they had on Friday and have been fairly miserable ever since, but fortunately you are beginning to be on the mend.

Being the good parent that I am, I conveniently waited to get sick until you were feeling a bit better.

Last night I had been unable to sleep because of an upset tummy. How fortunate for me because I was already awake when our carbon monoxide detector went off at 2AM. After testing with our other CO detector, we were both fairly sure that we were safe. But those pesky flu-like symptoms that CO information sites warn people about made me bug you enough to call the gas company to check. And, you were right. Our flu-like symptoms were from the flu.

Not a great start to Father's Day.

My laying in bed moaning from an upset stomach today probably wasn't part of your plans, either.

In light of this, I make a public pledge that you get a Father's Day Do-Over.

But, not before we leave for China. We'll be too busy. And not in China because you're already going to have your birthday then and it would seem a little greedy to get two special days on this trip. And not right when we get back, because I'll just be in survival mode for a while. In August is my birthday and I know you don't want to infringe on that, because you are so super nice. By the time thing settle down, it will be school time and it takes a while to get adjusted to the schedule. And not right after that because it is Thanksgiving and Christmas and that will be busy. And you know we have four kids birthdays from January through April. I'm sure you don't want to take away any joy surrounding their days. Then, in May is Mother's Day. And you all know how big of a deal that is to me.

So, it looks like you get your Father's Day do-over next June. Hey, that's regular Father's Day. We could just sing to you twice as much next year and call it good.

I'm so lucky to be married to such a patient and understanding husband.

Happy Father's Day!

I love you!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am a friend of the Sheltons and have been following your blog ever since Dawn steered me to it, and you are hysterical! I, too, made that stressful, chaotic journey to China three years ago, and I too was not ready for it, and got sick before it. It is wonderfully refreshing to read your great humor that brings back so many memories for me. Hang in there!